Travel and Research Grants
The MU Office of Undergraduate Research offers undergraduate research travel grants for students presenting their research at professional meetings and conferences. Students will be awarded funding only once during the course of their academic career at Mizzou. Participation in professional meetings and conferences provides an important opportunity for you to communicate your research to others in your field, network with your peers, and expand your understanding of the scope and nature of research.
To be eligible for funding, you must present your research (talk or poster), your name must appear on the conference abstract, and the University of Missouri must appear as your address. Your faculty mentor is not required to attend the conference. Additionally, you will be required to present your work at the Spring Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievements Forum held in April. Applications can be downloaded (PDF) or picked up in the Office of Undergraduate Research. Applications must be returned to the Office of Undergraduate Research, 150 Bond Life Sciences Center.
You must submit the following no later than six weeks before the conference:
- UGR Travel Award Application (PDF);
- A letter outlining why you wish to attend this meeting, including what you expect to get from attending and how attending will affect your future plans;
- A letter of support from your faculty mentor explaining the nature of the meeting and why it is appropriate for you to attend this meeting;
- If you conducted your research off campus, then you must include a letter of support from your research mentor;
- An itemized budget of what the money will be used for;
- A copy of your abstract, including the title and authors (with you listed as first author).
If you have not received confirmation of a travel award within two weeks of your travel date, please contact the office. It is possible that funding is not available.
- Registration fee
- Airfare and ground transportation
- Mileage, if a personal car is used for travel
- Your share of hotel expenses (lodging, taxes)
- Meal expenses will NOT be covered through this travel grant
Travel grants will be dispersed after travel with appropriate documentation. Students must submit original receipts and used ticket stubs for airline travel (if applicable) for reimbursement to be approved and processed. Students will be reimbursed for mileage at the University rate (currently $0.535/mi). A copy of the student’s registration must also be included with the receipts in order for reimbursement to be approved. Typically, students combine funding from multiple resources (i.e., academic departments, professional societies). Our travel grants usually cover only a portion of allowable expenses.
Award amounts vary.