The programs listed below are open to students from all universities and colleges. Mizzou students should review and identify ones in which they are interested.
Conducting research during the summer somewhere other than Mizzou is a great way to broaden your research experiences! These are opportunities to work at a campus you might want to consider for graduate school or explore a research area that isn’t well-developed at Mizzou (example: marine biology).
Applications for many summer programs are due between mid-December and mid-February, so start looking early. It is a good idea to prepare application materials over the winter break.
If you applying for a summer research opportunity, or are accepted, at another institution over the summer, let the Office of Undergraduate Research know and find out how we may be of any assistance.
Increase your chances of being selected for an off-campus summer program! Staff in the Office of Fellowships and Advanced Studies are available to review students’ application materials for summer research programs. Reach out if you want support on an external summer research program application!
The National Science Foundation (NSF) funds many Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) in a range of academic disciplines at sites across the country. Search for an NSF REU site.
Additionally, look at REUfinder.com this site is for STEM undergrads, but has some information that you may find helpful. Caution! Beware of clicking on suspicious links and confirm the validity of opportunities.
- Summer research/internship programs that accept international students
- Resources on summer undergraduate research and internship opportunities – Plant Science Research Network
- Federal Opportunities for Undergraduate Students – STEM
- Station1 Frontiers Fellowship
*Research internships available (based on interest).
- Art and Humanities Undergraduate Research Experiences
- Boston University Center for Humanities
- CASE Art and Humanities Programs
- College Center for Research and Fellowships – Social Sciences and Humanities Internships
- Moore Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program (MURAP), UNC Chapel Hill
- UPENN Summer Humanities Internships
- National Internships & Fellowships in History, listed by Ohio State U.
- UNC Greensboro: Statistics & Machine Learning REU
- 2023 École Nationale Supériere d’Arts et Métiers – Texas A&M NSF REU in Engineering – Location: Aix-en-Provence, France
- Mathematical and Theoretical Biology Institute, Arizona State University
- Caltech WAVE Fellows Program
- National Security Innovation Network X-Force Fellowship
- Engineering, listed by Berkeley Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- American Society of Plant Biologists Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (ASPB SURF), for use at Mizzou or elsewhere
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Association of American Medical Colleges – Locations/Research focus vary
- B.I.G. Summer Undergraduate Research Program, UCLA
- Bruins-In-Genomics (B.I.G.) Summer Research Program, (Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and Genomics), UCLA
- Center for Genetically Encoded Materials (C-GEM)
- Center for Neuroscience at the University of Pittsburgh (CNUP) Summer Fellowship
- Danforth Plant Science Center Research Experience for Undergraduates (St. Louis)
- Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program
- Leah Menshouse Springer Summer Opportunities Program
- Mayo Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program
- Stowers Summer Scholars, The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute
- Undergraduate Trauma Research Training, Syracuse University
- University of Georgia: Crop Genetics & Genoics II REEU
- Watershed Management Research and Outreach Internship Program (8 midwest universities including Missouri)
- University of Notre Dame Environmental Research Center – UNDERC
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) Summer Student Research Program
- Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF)
- Mosaics in Science Internships, National Park Service
- NASA STEM Gateway
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Repperger Research Internship Program, Air Force STEM
- U.S. Army Institute for Surgical Research Summer Internship Program
- Homeland Security Professional Opportunities for Student Workforce to Experience Research (POWER)
- U.S. Department of Energy
- USA Jobs – Pathways
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program
- National History Research Experiences (Smithsonian Museum of Natural History)
- The National Great Rivers Research & Education Center
- Zoo Miami NSF REU (conservation biology AND education research)
- Idealist – Job site specifically for social impact organizations and nonprofits