The purpose of these fellowships is to financially support undergraduate students who are serious about pursuing a graduate education in STEM and NSF-funded fields in order to enhance their opportunity to be admitted into the graduate school of their choice. Only applicants with existing independent research projects will be considered. The program will provide up to $5,000 per year (June 1 – May 30) as salary support for undergraduate student researchers. A successful candidate may compete for a second period of funding (i.e. $10,000 max per student.)
- Rising juniors will be prioritized but seniors will also be considered. **Prior recipients will need to demonstrate productivity and compliance with grant expectations during the first year of funding in order to be considered for renewal.**
- Students must be full-time students at the University of Missouri-Columbia.
- Applicants must have at least six months of undergraduate research experience in the same lab as their application research project prior to the start of the funding cycle (June 1).
- The proposed research project must be STEM-related or within an NSF-GRFP funded field, defined as:
- Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering
- Life Sciences
- Materials Research
- Mathematical Sciences
- Physics & Astronomy
- Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences
- STEM Education and Learning Research
- Student Form describing prior and ongoing research experience and future goals. Be prepared to upload 2-page project proposal and transcript.
- Progress Report to be completed by students applying for a second year of support.
- Advisor Form describing undergraduate research history and training plan for the applicant.
- Certification Form to confirm expectations of grant recipients.
Students are expected to:
- Submit an external fellowship application (NSF GRFP or similar) prior to graduation.
- Acknowledge the funding source (Mizzou Forward Undergraduate Research Training Grant) in publications and presentations.
- Present the work at appropriate venues at least once during each funding period.
- Submit a Progress Report at the end of each funding period, describing activities and outcomes resulting from the funding as well as copies of manuscripts, grant proposals, patent applications, etc. (when available).
- Inform the Training Grant Coordinators of their post-graduation placement.
- Report publication/s or funding resulting from this fellowship to the Training Grant Coordinators in a timely manner.
Mentors agree to:
- Train the awardee and help them prepare a fellowship for external funding.
- Commit to reviewing future applications (once per funding period).
- Use the funds only to pay for student salary, at an hourly rate of at least $15/hr. Award funding will be provided via a departmental transfer; any unused funds must be returned at the end of the award period.
The Review Committee will be composed of faculty members with a track record of successful undergraduate research training representing all colleges with STEM programs at the University of Missouri-Columbia. The Critique forms will be returned to students and mentors as a form of feedback.
Applications must be submitted by March 15th, 2024; critiques and award notices will be sent by the end of April.
Please email MizzouForwardURTG@missouri.edu with any questions.