The purpose of these fellowships is to financially support undergraduate students who are serious about pursuing a graduate education in STEM, in order to enhance their opportunity to be admitted into the Graduate School of their choice. In addition, students whose research align well with NSF-GRFP funded fields, are also invited to submit applications.
Only applicants with existing independent research projects will be considered. The program will provide up to $5,000 per year (June 1 – May 30) as salary support for undergraduate student researchers. A successful candidate may compete for a second period of funding (i.e. $10,000 max per student.)
- Rising juniors and juniors will be prioritized but seniors will also be considered.
- Students must be full-time students at the University of Missouri-Columbia.
- Applicants must have at least 6 months of undergraduate research experience in the same lab as their application research project
- The proposed research project must be STEM-related or NSF-GRFP funded fields
- Student form describing prior and ongoing research experience and future goals
- Mentor form describing undergraduate research history and Training Plan for the applicant
- Research plan describing the proposed work, including rationale and feasibility
- Student transcript (unofficial OK)
You may download the application package in PDF format below; if you would prefer the materials in WORD document format, please email MizzouForwardURTG@missouri.edu and it will be sent to you.
- Students must submit an external fellowship application within one year of the start of funding
- The funding source (MizzouForward Undergraduate Research Training Grant) must be acknowledged in publications and presentations
- The student must present the work at appropriate venues at least once during each funding period
- Awardees must submit a Progress Report at the end of each funding period, describing activities and outcomes resulting from the funding as well as copies of manuscripts, grant proposals, patent applications etc. (when available)
- Students must inform the Training Grant coordinators of their postgraduation placement
- Mentors agree to train and help the awardee prepare a fellowship for external funding
- Publication/s or funding resulting from this fellowship must be reported to the Training Grant coordinators in a timely manner
- Mentors must be available to review future applications (one commitment/granting period)
- The funds may only be used to pay for student salary at an hourly rate of at least $15/hr. Award funding will be provided via a departmental transfer; any unused funds must be returned at the end of the award period
The Review Committee will be composed of faculty members with a track record of successful undergraduate research training representing all Colleges with STEM programs at the University of Missouri-Columbia. The Critique forms will be returned to students and mentors as form of feedback.
Applications must be submitted to MizzouForwardURTG@missouri.edu by March 17, 2023; critiques and award notices will be sent by the end of April.
Please email MizzouForwardURTG@missouri.edu with any questions.
Please note: This program is not coordinated by the Office of Undergraduate Research and all questions should be directed to the above email.